Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Plaid Apron

Can you see the plaid fabric in my apron for tie on on? Yes, that IS a plaid bow on the pocket. Take a closer look now... the jazzy plaid fabric is peeking out from the pleat below the pocket...

Chatterbelle told me I made the apron backwards. The plaid should have been the main part of the apron since it is the prettier fabric. She loves her bright colors.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

art apron

art apron
Originally uploaded by pout on a whim
I purchased a shower curtain from the thrift store well over a year ago with the intent to turn it into an art apron for Chatterbelle. The current "NO $$$" Tie one on theme prompted me to finally make it.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bandana bag

My bandana bag for the purse project

I used two different colored bandanas folded on the diagonal, stiched together on two sides with suede look trim then made drawstring casing along the top. Gotta keep my projects fairly simple or they tend not to be completed.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tree climber

This is my belated Christmas post...

The tree climbing bear is the most recent doll made from a wee wonderfuls pattern. She turned out more Christmassy than anticipated and looks right at home amidst the ornaments. Here is a better view of her, taken outside, before the snowstorm and subsequent freezing temps.

Christmas decorating was pretty simple this year. Brought up only two boxes of ornaments from the basement to decorate the tree. Discovered the handmade tree skirt at the thrift store a couple of months previous.

The tree went up a week before Christmas and came down the week after. I dismantled it after everyone had gone to bed (I had gone to bed as well, but awoke from a bad dream, and unable to go back to sleep, decided to put Christmas to bed instead). The tree disappeared four days ago and no one has remarked about its absence.

Grandpa was given a plate of cookies that Chatterbelle helped make. We made a coffee cup sleeve for Chatterbelle's uncle. She drew the cat face and I embroidered it onto a piece of gray felted wool sweater. But I embroidered it upside down. So to fix it I cut it out and stitched it (right side up) onto a piece of green felted wool sweater. Fortunately, I have no shortage of felted wool sweaters.

And lastly we have a small forest of Christmas trees made from this Martha Stewart pattern.

Rather than download and print onto cardstock as pattern directed, I used their template (reduced in size a bit to fit our abundance of green scrapbooking paper) as a pattern. I traced the shapes and Chatterbelle cut them out. The trees still look good even if not cut exactly even. I showed her where to fold, and she made the creases. After this photo was taken, she proceeded to decorate them with lots of little sticker ornaments. I don't have a photo of the final result; these little trees, like most little things, were quickly scattered about the house.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Better connected...

Well Autumn has whizzed by since my last post and now Christmas is around the corner. Good news is that we finally have DSL. No more depending upon an unreliable phone line to access internet happenings. Perhaps now I will be a more frequent visitor to blogland. We are currently in the midst of some winter weather. Here is a photo of our dog in the snow.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gingham summer apron

My apron for tie one on. Theme is gingham summer.

I have a stack of thrifted pillowcases waiting to be used in projects. I decided it was time to use one for an apron. I cut open the two long sides of the pillowcase and left the short end stitched together. That became the center of the apron skirt. I found a coordinating blue gingham in my stash to use for the bib. Waistband and sash ties were made from blue chambray. Apron is trimmed with jumbo size white ric rak.

I chose blue gingham for this project because to me summer means blue skies!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Tie-dye T-shirt... drawstring pouch!

For the purse project I made a drawstring pouch from a pink tie-dyed t-shirt I found at the thrift store.

I used a medium weight interfacing to give the bag some body, and lined it with a white t-shirt I found in the back of my closet. It's trimmed with pink bias tape and the drawstring is made from pink grosgrain ribbon.